Sunday, April 25, 2010

Summer and our Garden

This summer Arlo and I are going to start a Garden. I am so excited for this project! I have been wanting to try my hand at Gardening for a long time but have been a bit overwhelmed on how to get started. A good friend of mine Sonya suggested I try square foot gardening. The basic idea is you build a garden box above ground, either a 2x2 or 4x4 box you can choose the size; We decided on a 4x4.You plant different veggies etc in square foot sections. Some of the benifits to this are; you are yeilding a much smaller amount of produce, and you can control the quality of your soil. Groundsoil is harder to get just right. Apparently the magical combination is starting with a good soil (ph level at least 6.5) then add some compost, peat moss and vermiculite. Mix this all together and you are supposed to create a perfect growing environment. We finally took the plung and got our first garden box put together today!
Heres Dad and Arlo pouring in the dirt....

Mom and Arlo mixing everything up.... Our finished product....Arlo doing a ride on his "motorcycle" around the dirt pile with his gardening gloves...Next we are on to planting. So far I am thinking of trying a few veggies and some herbs. Anyone out there who gardens do you have some suggestions on what we should try?

4 comments:

uncle lew said...

Arlo looks so cute in his little uniform! Organized sports! oh geez, here we go!

I don't know if I should give you suggestions because our garden puts out mini veggies. ha! I would just try stuff that you like to eat. A fun thing to try is gourds. It will climb a fence and have all these hanging gourds. Then you can make bird houses out of them.
-from amber, not uncle lew

Anonymous said...

My neighbor did square foot gardening last year and it was very successful. I am excited to hear how yours turns out. And, have fun with t-ball...Ruby is starting in June. We could not convince Ava to sign up again this year because she said it required too much running. :) She did ask if we could just buy her a t-ball "outfit" though!

wayward daisy said...

Hooray! The Wasatch Community Garden is having it's annual plant sale on May 8 -- let me know if you want to go or want me to pick anything up for you. They have a great selection of heirloom varieties.

Mindy Curtis said...

How awesome! This looks like so much fun. I wish we had a small garden. Apartment living is great for not having to shovel snow, or mow lawns, but not for gardening.